Since the first lockdown started on 23rd March 2020, we have:
• opened The Storehouse food and distribution centre in Sighthill
• launched a new weekly Soul Food meal at Carrubbers Christian Centre on the Royal Mile, in partnership with Soul Food Edinburgh (now on temporary hiatus)
• opened a new Foodbank+ in Prestonpans, in partnership with Lighthouse Central Church
• opened a new Clothesbank+ in Tollcross, in partnership with Central Church
• launched Nations, a racial justice project
• launched An Open Hand, a new toy delivery service, in partnership with Greenbank Parish Church
• run online conversational English classes over the summer as part of Salaam, our support work for refugees and asylum seekers.
• initiated a drop-in cafe for refugees, in partnership with Liberton Parish Church
• launched The Salaam Weekend Club, an events programme for refugees
We are planning to start Two's Company - Edinburgh, a new befriending scheme for older people, in partnership with Linking Lives UK this coming January, 2022.
We continue to run our Foodbank+ network providing food for people who are going through a period of food crisis. If you are experiencing food poverty and would like to get support from our network, you need to get a referral from a social worker or other professional who can refer using our website.
We started our first Soul Food meal in partnership with Soul Food Edinburgh in October 2019, providing a weekly meal for people experiencing homelessness and others in isolation. This is based at Central Edinburgh Methodist Church in Newington. If you are in need of a meal, please contact us for details or go to Soul Food Edinburgh.
The van goes out five lunch-times and seven evenings a week, providing a hot drink and takeaway meal for people experiencing homelessness. The Care Van is run in partnership with Bethany Christian Trust and 40 local churches.
Wide-ranging Refugee and Asylum Seeker support work. Please contact us if you are a refugee or asylum seeker and are impacted by the Covid-19 Crisis. We want to help you.
We are a small charity who put our energy and resources into providing support through these programmes. If you need spiritual or emotional support during this difficult time, you may wish to contact a local church or Trypraying. May God bless and keep you and yours safe.
Thank you for your prayers and support,
Duncan Cuthill (CEO) and the Edinburgh City Mission team
“For the love of Christ compels us, because we are convinced that (Jesus) died for us all… and that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.”
2 Corinthians 5:14-15
We are in our city, for our city. What sort of city do you want to see?
We want to see people flourishing, communities thriving, the church mobilised and God glorified.
We are helping to create a mission movement across Edinburgh by stimulating and strengthening the church's mission. Following Jesus' example, we support people who are experiencing deprivation, exclusion or isolation.
If you would like to hear more about Edinburgh City Mission and how you can be part of our work, get in touch by clicking the button below.Get in touch